Sunday, March 11, 2012

Humboldt Vacation

We returned home on Thursday night from our trip to Humboldt Redwoods National Park. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Redwood Forest! This was the first vacation EVER that was not over crowded with people. We joked that it was like being in a Twilight movie. The best vacations are the ones were you are not surrounded by a ton of other tourists :)

Our vacation began when we arrived in Santa Barbara late Sunday night. We stayed one night at the Best Western Beachside Inn. I don't recommend this hotel, it was dirty and outdated. My husband chose this hotel solely on the fact that he stayed here when he was around the same age as our son now.

Before leaving Santa Barbara the next day, we drove by the Old Mission Santa Barbara on our way to have breakfast in Solvang.
Old Mission Santa Barbara
Breakfast in Solvang
After breakfast we drove about hour before we stopped in San Luis Obispo for a bathroom break at the Madonna Inn. As a child, my parents would stop here on our way to San Francisco. I am so happy that we could add this to our trip. My son and I have decided that we need to stay a night in one of their one hundred ten unique rooms.
Madonna Inn
Madonna Inn Garden
Women's Restroom
Grape Chandelier
We continued our journey to Garberville, Humboldt, California. We stayed two nights at the Best Western PLUS Humboldt House Inn. I highly recommend this hotel if you are visiting Humboldt Redwoods State Park. The staff was friendly, the room was clean and the bathroom had granite counters. The hotel is located conveniently near the entrance of the Avenue of the Giants.

I truly enjoyed the beauty and serenity of the forest. I wish we had a few more days to explore more of the trails. I'm already planning our next trip.

Before heading home we drove to Monterey, California and stayed at the Best Western PLUS Beach Resort. The hotel is located directly on Del Monte Beach. It is a great location but it is very outdated. We were going to stay for two nights but after checking into the room we decided to only stay one night.

It was a long five days in the car for all of us, including Lily. But we survived even with limited to no Internet access or phone service the entire trip. It was a fantastic trip, considering we made no reservations ahead a time. It was very spontaneous...not like any other vacation we have ever planned or not planned before. I'm ready to do it all over again.

2 comments:

Asri said...

Hi, what a good account on travelling. Don't you wish to try Asia and learn the herbs/spice/traditional oitment/culture of Asians ( as I learnt that you keen .... cosmetics in your profile).

Kim said...

Hi Asri, my dream is to visit Japan and I would love to travel all through Asia.

Thanks for your post :)